Monday, August 02, 2004

Cameras

So you don't know what kind of digicam your looking for? Ask yourself these questions before you get to the camera store: What am I going to use this camera for? Is it to take snapshots of my dog? Is it to take photos for eBay? Is it to replace my existing film camera? Is it so I can save money on film & processing? Is it so I can make my own prints on my computer and printer? How big will I be making these prints?

These are just some questions you should take the time to answer before you even begin thinking about a camera that costs $1000 or more.

First, define what you want to do with this camera? If it is to take snapshots ocassionally that will never be printed bigger than 4x6— or even printed at all, you're fine with a 2-megapixel camera.

Second: Is this replacing your film camera? If so, is it because you think there are inherent savings by going to digital? Not necessarily. You might need a whole new computer system, printer etc.

Third: Output size. If your printer only prints 8.5 wide, a 3-4 megapixel is quite adequate for your needs.

Now, mind you, if you're serious about photography and want to change lenses, need shooting speed... you're going to want a DSLR, and not going to find one new in the 2-4 megapixel range.

This is a starting point. More next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home